Everyone is so rich in Dubai
Why is the city so rich?
As can now be seen in the Dubai Heritage Museum, Dubai first developed into a city out of the hustle and bustle of fishermen and pearl divers | © A. Davey / Flickr
Before Dubai was the glittering city, it was once a humble fishing village. As early as the 1770s, fishermen and pearl divers were settled, although archeology has proven that the land around what Dubai was now by nomadic Bedouins as far back as the 3rd century AD approx It was settled in the 16th century BCE. Since the 1770s, when Dubai first took shape as a small and sleepy fishing village, people have been drawn to this coastal hub for its pearls. Pearl diving and the associated trading were the first step that led Dubai into the future. After the founding of Dubai's ruling family, the Al Maktoum family, the city became a working and collaborative city recognized both domestically and internationally.
Oil was then discovered in Dubai in 1966 which propelled the city into unthinkable fortune and made Dubai the modern city it is today. With the first oil delivery from Dubai in 1969 and the establishment of the nation state of the United Arab Emirates after independence from Great Britain in 1971, the city acted independently and strongly in the international community.
After the discovery of oil, nothing was like this in Dubai © Panoramen / Flickr
So why is Dubai so rich? Yes, the Al Maktoum royal family's discovery of oil coupled with strategic maneuvering was important, but it was also innovation, a commitment to modernity and human creativity that drove entrepreneurs, companies, investors and expats to move to Dubai and to enrich the city. The foundation of pearl diving and a strong sense of tradition also laid the foundation for Dubai, without which nothing could have been built. The reasons Dubai is such a strong city is based on a number of factors, not just the recent oil boom (although it played a big role). A long history of trade, innovation by the country's local people and a commitment to building for the better has helped Dubai achieve the status of one of the leading cities of our century. So next time you enjoy the luxury and wealth of Dubai, remember its humble beginnings and the traditions of its nomads and pearl divers who worked so hard to lay the foundations for what would become the big city of Dubai.
Author: Jacob Bishop
Jacob Bishop is a 65 year old journalist. Certified organizer. Twitter expert. Creator. Tvaholic. Social media geek. Future teen idol.
- Can passenger fumes affect the health of the passengers?
- What's your favorite passage in Tolkien
- Atheists believe in Spinoza's God
- Will GST affect India
- Why is my finger swollen and painful
- What does the Swedish flag look like
- How powerful is the Russian Orthodox Church
- Will get Redmi Note 3 Marshmallow update
- What is a unified system
- Will Brexit actually take place in 2019?
- Where is Jama Masjid
- Is Sanji weaker than Zoro
- Hydrocortisone can treat acne and facial flushing
- Why do people hate Narayana Murthy
- Why should we study the Church?
- Why is slag used in concrete
- What is Tumblr 4
- When is plagiarism justified?
- What ingredients are in Taco Bell meat
- What are general elections
- How do parents influence child development?
- How do Africans live
- How are military veterans rewarded in America?
- How are whites treated in Bosnia?
- How important are looks in a relationship
- What is the best real estate investment
- Who is the biggest hypocrite in Hollywood
- How do I support my depressed father
- What's the best romantic TV series
- What is the advantage after deleting IIT
- BuzzFeed is a credible news source
- What is polymineral rock
- Hypergamy is an inevitable consequence of polyamory
- What is a less than honorable discharge