Is secularism in Turkey in danger?
M. A., Dr. phil., born 1974; Studied Islamic studies, history and psychology in Bonn and Cairo; since 2003 research assistant at the Oriental Seminar at the University of Bonn.
Address: Oriental Seminar of the University of Bonn, Regina-Pacis-Weg 7, 53113 Bonn.
Email: [email protected]
Publications including: Private Education in Turkey - Die Dersanes', in: Körber Foundation (Hrsg.), Chance Bildung, Hamburg 2002; Between network and discourse: The educational network around Fethullah Gülen, Hamburg 2004 (i.E.).
At the end of 2004 it will be decided whether Turkey will be given a date for the start of EU accession negotiations. Regardless of the respective position, no observer can avoid noting that Turkey has recently implemented numerous reforms aimed at aligning the law with the EU. The AK party (Justice and Development Party - Adalet ve Kalkinma Partisi), which has ruled since November 2002 and has been dubbed "Islamic", initiated many reforms, the acceptance of which represents a conditio sine qua non for the EU, but at the same time a radical one Break with Kemalist traditions. Criticism of the reforms often came from groups in the military and bureaucracy who see themselves as the guardians and guardians of the principles of the state founder Mustafa Kemal Ataturk, the so-called Kemalists, who have always advocated a western orientation of Turkey. The following remarks are intended to investigate the question of how to deal with the legacy of the secularism propagated by Kemalism in Kemalist and Islamic-oriented circles today, what state and social ideals the corresponding positions are based on and what this means for rapprochement with Europe.
- Should India hand over Siachen to Pakistan
- How much do airline websites cost
- How does Mahatma Gandhi inspire you
- The Bible is the oldest religious book
- Why is Cantonese so famous outside of China
- Why is marijuana so popular in California
- What is object-oriented programming 6
- Can Turkey become the "Mexico of Europe"?
- What is the perfect Aryan breed
- Why should we protect human rights
- How many kinds of crystals are found
- What is the westernmost Canadian province
- Rental car prices can be negotiated
- At what age are children the most mischievous
- How racially pure are white Americans
- Which airports in Australia are not controlled?
- Why do Indo-Aryans hate Dravidians
- Why did the Romans destroy Jerusalem?
- What is your opinion on NRIs
- What colors look good on dark people
- Lie airlines about the space available
- How is Diwali in Sri Lanka
- What is the mentality of suicide bombers
- How should we treat others