What is appropriation
Part of speech: noun, (Female)Hyphenation:
- Appropriation, Plural: An | eig | nun | gen
- IPA: [ˈAnˌʔaɪ̯ɡnʊŋ]
- 1) Property law
- 1a) Taking possession of an abandoned property
- 1b) unlawful possession of an item
- 2) Acquisition of knowledge, skills, behavior, ideologies or the like, for example through learning, practicing or getting used to
- Derivation from the stem of the verb Appropriately with the derivative (derivative morpheme) -ung
- 1) occupation
- 2) knowledge acquisition
- 1a) “With the private appropriation the land, which served both as the most important means of production and as an object of production, was also linked to the private appropriation of cattle. "
- 1a) “It was argued that the appropriation of abandoned land in German South West Africa as a special prerogative of the protected area treasury, since it could also be exercised by private individuals. "
- 1b) “The English rule over Ireland went on in the following 200 years with an extensive one appropriation of landed property by the English and a paralysis of the Irish economy. "
- 1b) “For example, when IS invaded Mosul last year, IS robbed millions of dollars from the vaults of local banks - not to mention the appropriation of the military equipment of the Iraqi army, which fled the city in a hurry and thus saved the terrorists a lot of expenses. "
- 1b) “China's historical justification for its expansion in the South China Sea is not recognized and with the appropriation of the islands, China is violating the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea. "
- 2) “The acquisition of a foreign language differs from that appropriation a second language primarily because the first process is only reduced to a few hours per week. "
- 2) “Despite the appropriation of traditions, Picasso always remains himself. "
- 2) “What is overlooked is that Denglish is not an active, open-minded one appropriation of the foreign, but about a growing linguistic monoculture, including among intellectuals. "
- 2) “The break with tradition and the opening to the West, to which also the partial appropriation Heard of Leninism would have actually managed to assert the nation against the West - which in no way means that historical continuities are not important as a source of legitimation for the communists. "
- 2) “Central in teacher training in Vienna is now appropriation of around 30 core competencies such as innovation competence, reflection competence, examination competence, perseverance or even competence orientation competence. "
- 1) (illegitimate)appropriation, illegalappropriation
- Appropriation intention
- Nominative: singular appropriation; Plural Appropriations
- Genitive: singular appropriation; Plural Appropriations
- Dative: singular appropriation; Plural Appropriations
- Accusative: singular appropriation; Plural Appropriations
- English: 1) occupation
- French: 1) occupation (Female)
- Italian: 1) occupazione (Female)
- Persian: 1) مالکیت
- Polish: 1) zawłaszczenie (neuter)
- Spanish: 1) ocupación (Female)
Practical example sentences
Automatically selected examples in German:
„Kim Kardashian is in her latest Instagram statement in the wake of a feud over the appropriation of the word 'kimono' as insightful.“
Today.at, July 2nd, 2019
„Sovereign appropriation: The great singer covers Talking Heads You can use Kidjo's album as a commentary on the cultural debate appropriation read.“
Rolling Stone, August 15, 2018
„Cultural appropriation or homage? That is the question in the dispute between the luxury fashion brand Carolina Herrera and the Mexican government.“
NZZ Online, July 03, 2019
„Trouble for Louis Vuitton. The Mexican government accuses the luxury brand of cultural appropriation in front. The company is now trying to smooth things over and wants to cooperate with Mexican artisans.“
Spiegel Online, July 11, 2019
„But with the new urban culture and nightlife, the pleasurable way of strolling is experienced appropriation of space is making a comeback.“
Deutschlandradio, August 15, 2018
„The French fashion house becomes cultural appropriation accused and is not alone with this allegation.“
DiePresse.com, January 20, 2020
„About Jeanine Cummins' thriller "American Dirt" is a debate about cultural appropriation inflamed. This should be discussed seriously.“
TAZ, May 04, 2020
„Indian costumes at Mardi Gras are frowned upon. Even those who wear dreadlocks have to live with the accusation of being racist or insensitive. The debate about cultural appropriation above all raises one question.“
Welt.de, February 24, 2020
„She is the grande dame of European cinema - now Isabelle Huppert plays an Arabic translator. Here she speaks about the accusation of cultural appropriation and the subversive of their films.“
Spiegel Online, October 8, 2020
„Beyonce is going cultural because of her new visual album 'Black is King' appropriation accused. Mama Tina Knowles defended her on Instagram.“
Klatsch-Tratsch.de, July 4th, 2020
The usage examples were selected automatically and may therefore contain errors.
Thesaurus & Synonyms
- purchase: Acquisition of something; the newly acquired
- Acquisition: the act of acquiring, acquiring; paid, occupational work; intellectual appropriation; buying, buying; the acquired
- investment: Economy Investing capital in wealth in order to generate profit
- purchase: Trade the purchase of a commodity against payment; Trade the purchased item; Payment to a public official with expected consideration
- (Forcible) seizure
- Annexation: forcible appropriation of something; Taking possession of, for example, an area
- annexation: Politics: violent, illegal occupation, appropriation, taking possession of a state territory
- penetration: activity taking the path through something
- invasion: joint marching of several people into a building or area; forced entry of military troops into an area
- Indent: moving into a house, a building, a room; reaching a competition, often a group or team (e.g. in football, marathon or cycling race); Printing: Distance to the sheet, picture or (more generally) to the page margin; Military: Troops march into or capture an area
- conquest: Military forcible appropriation of foreign territory
- Territory appropriation
- invasion: Military intrusion of enemy attackers into foreign territory; Biology Entry of a biological species into an area
- occupation: military occupation of a foreign territory, in which the exercise of state power is transferred from the existing to the foreign power for the duration of the occupation; International law, colonialism: establishment of territorial sovereignty in previously unruly territory; Law: appropriation of abandoned property (legal concept of property law)
Another word (synonym) for appropriation - Source: OpenThesaurus
Entries from our dictionary containing "appropriation":
reception: ... take in, receive, receive) Synonyms: 1) Reception, reception desk 2) Takeover, appropriation 3) Take in, perception Examples of use: 1) I will be at the ...
Dereliction: Surrender of ownership Opposite words: 1) Appropriation Examples of use: 1) Dereliction of land is also possible with a declaration to the responsible land registry office (§928 I BGB)
plunder: ... Plunder | de | ration, plural: Plunder | de | runnings Word meaning / definition: 1) Illegal appropriation of other people's belongings by means of violence or threats of the same or by exploiting ...
exercise:… ['Yːbʊŋ], plural: [' yːbʊŋən, 'yːbʊŋ̍] Word meaning / definition: 1) The active acquisition of a certain skill. The exercise is therefore a learning technique. 2) Text for ...
submission: ... act of surrendering to someone; Acceptance of (coercive) rule or power 2) Forcible appropriation of a domain Origin of the term: derivation of the noun from ...
Rate & Share
Rate the dictionary entry or share it with friends.
Quote & print
Quote this page:
"Appropriation" in the online dictionary Wortbedeutung.info (May 21, 2021) URL: https://www.wortbedeutung.info/Aneignung/
Comments from users
There are currently no comments on this entry.
Complete the dictionary entry
Wortscheutung.info is a Language dictionary and is used to look up all linguistic information. It's explicit not an encyclopedia and no subject dictionary that explains content. Here you can add comments such as examples of use or hints on the use of the term “appropriation” and thus help to improve our dictionary. Questions, requests for help and complaints are not welcome and will be deleted immediately. HTML tags are not allowed.
The following terms
Appropriations (German) Part of speech: Declined form Hyphenation: An | eig | nun | gen Pronunciation / Emphasis: IPA:…
Stringing together (German) Part of speech: Noun, (feminine) Cases: Nominative: singular series; Multiple strings ...
Lined up (German) Part of Speech: Declined Form Hyphenation: An | ei | n | an | der | re | hun | gen Pronunciation / Stress: IPA: ...
anecdote (German) Part of speech: noun, (feminine) Cases: nominative: singular anecdote; Plural anecdotes genitive: singular ...
Anecdotes (German) Part of Speech: Declined Form Hyphenation: Anek | do | ten Pronunciation / Stress: IPA: [anɛkˈdoːtən]…
Anecdotes (German) Part of speech: noun, (neuter) cases: nominative: singular anecdotes; Plural anecdotes genitive: ...
Anecdotes (German) Part of speech: Declined form Hyphenation: Anek | döt | chens Grammatical features: Genitive singular des…
Annulation (German) Part of speech: noun, (feminine) Cases: nominative: singular die Anellierung; Most of the annulations ...
- How is sight affected by strabismus?
- What happens if you drink fluoride
- What is 10 2 36 15
- What is OpenCart SMS Integration
- Is India a democratic country 4
- Who surprised you
- Where can I sell clothes online
- Are there examples of writing scripts
- Have you conducted any experiments in life?
- Are Moroccans religious
- Like teenagers Quora and why
- What is the origin of bullfighting
- Why is Gaddafi a hero
- Why is reflection important in education
- How can Hindus be united
- How do arrogant people justify being arrogant
- Why is abortion a good choice
- Is bckv a good agricultural school
- What is a degree in nuclear medicine
- What should I do after mechanical engineering
- Why do Nazis believe they are superior?
- Who is the Most Dangerous Republican Candidate
- How should I organize my React app?
- Why does Mumbai have slums