What do Spaniards think of Scandinavians in general?
The Spaniards are a spirited people who are sometimes very different from us Germans. It is therefore obvious that you should be prepared for a few cultural specialties before starting a (language) trip to the Iberian Peninsula. There are a number of things to consider, especially with regard to rules of conduct and politeness. In the following article, we will tell you which pitfalls you should definitely know.
Complain about the volumeAre spanish passionate and loud â € “and not only in our cliché, but also in reality.
So if you are planning a language trip to the southern European country, you should be prepared for the fact that it is nowhere near as civilized and quiet as it is in this country.
Heated discussions, loud music (until late at night), screaming childrenâ € “it all belongs to the typical Spanish background noisein addition and should not be criticized. Anyone who complains is considered extremely impolite in a matter of seconds (and comes out as a tourist, too).
Bringing up the wrong small talk topicsIf you want to improve your Spanish, it is of course an excellent idea to talk to locals and practice "small talk". But be careful! Even if the Spaniards are very communicative and open-minded, there are also a few rules of conductthat you should know better and also pay attention to:
- - Avoid these topics of conversation: bullfighting, religion, monarchy, regionalism and the Franco dictatorship
- - Always answer private and personal questions (for example about your family)
- - Only bring up the issue of football if you are sympathetic to the Spanish clubs and the national team
- - Small talk topics that always “go” and with which you can't go wrong are art, culture, family, good food and wine.
Disregard the Spanish dress codeIf you have already taken a (package) holiday in Spain, then you will have probably noticed that men are asked to come into long pantsand closed shoesto appear in the restaurant for dinner.
This is simply because Spaniards place great value on a neat and well-tended wardrobe â € “and expect this from their guests too.
While Shorts and flip flopsmay be quite legitimate on the beach, they apply, for example in restaurants and churches as an absolute no-go. Men in particular should adhere to this behavioral rule and respect the Spanish attitude towards fashion. Anything else quickly causes displeasure.
Arrive on time for appointmentsWhile we Germans are known around the world for our accurate punctuality, in Spain people don't take it very seriously when it comes to appointments of any kind. Here the general rule applies: as a guest as well as a host, you are welcome Plan 30 minutes more.
But if you stand punctually at the agreed timein front of the door (or if you signal that you have already been waiting for the other person), that is quickly considered to be not polite. So practice your language study trip to Spain in serenity and in "arriving too late".
Plan too little time for eatingLike the Italians, the Spanish love long meals with people who are important to them. Dinner in particular is not just about eating, it is often that cultural and social highlight of the day. The most important requirement for a successful meal: Lots of time.
If you are looking for contact with Spaniards and want to eat with them, then you should definitely not be under pressure of deadlines. Instead, plan enough time(a lunch appointment can also last two to three hours) and enjoy the cozy get-together with good food.
Who instead the Gobbling up foodand order the invoice immediately afterwardst, will fail mercilessly with most Spaniards and themselves don't make new friends.
By the way:If you receive a private invitation, it is an excellent idea to bring a party favor. You can't go wrong with wine, flowers, or sweet pastries.
Communicate only in German or EnglishMany Spaniards don't speak English very well and therefore expect to be spoken to in their mother tongue. So even if your Spanish skills are still in their infancy, you should at least try.
If the other person notices that you are exerting yourself, they often even suddenly understand a few words in English or German.
All Spaniards â € œto lean on the same brushâ €
Spaniards are just as proud as Brits when it comes to theirs regional origin goes. The Catalans and Basques in particular see themselves as autonomous "special cases" and want to be perceived as such.
It can therefore become problematic at times if you lump all Spaniards togetherand make no differentiation. Always remember: After all, a hamburger doesn't want to be called a Bavarian or a Saxon.
Disregard the siestaEven if the classic siesta is becoming less and less important in many parts of Spain, it is still an essential part of southern European culture.
who the Quiet time between 2 p.m. and 5 p.m.disregarded(and want to go shopping or call a friend, for example), is making itself unpopular, especially in rural areas, in the south of the country and on the Spanish islands.
In the big cities, on the other hand, you usually don't take the siesta very carefully. International chain stores in particular are mostly open here and invite you to enjoy (air-conditioned) shopping.
As you can see, even if the Spaniards are generally very uncomplicated and cordial, you can annoy them with certain behaviors. But don't worry: now that you know the most common faux pas, you can bypass them successfully.
Source: Sprachreisenvergleich.de | 06/13/2019
- How many Marxist-Leninist governments are there
- How powerful and influential is Amit Shah
- Can or will Chechnya ever become independent
- Freddie Mercury lifted weights
- What is Kasaysayan
- Why is ISIS targeting Australia specifically
- How many balloon days will Messi win?
- What's the best journal app
- Who is your favorite lyricist
- Smart people keep thinking
- Why friends are very selfish
- White guilt bothers you
- What is a good makeup artist
- What causes a depersonalization derealization disorder
- Who is the worst CM from Karnataka
- What is Cape Cod MA known for?
- Is there an amblyopia treatment for adults?
- What are popular local teas from Nepal
- Who was worse Hitler or Napoleon
- Will they all pass in Labs VIT
- What is hematology
- Why should a student learn entrepreneurship
- Can SpiceJet expand its international destinations
- The US government invests in Bitcoin
- How long can pines live
- How are stones made 5
- Which 27 iMac should I buy
- How do liberal and progressive ideologies differ?
- Is Donald Trumps in the public domain
- Why are common people attractive
- Why is there fluoride
- Which operating system does AWS Lambda use
- How thorough are the police background checks